Saturday 9 February 2013

How did the convetions of real media texts inspire you to use new media technologies to create the style of product you achieved.


When creating my music magazine for my foundation portfolio I extensively researched current music magazines before beginning the creation of my product. Looking at magazines with similar genres such as smash, clash and indie allowed me to get a good idea of the conventions. I did the same with my music video for my advanced portfolio, so researching real media texts allowed me to get the right idea on how to create a music video for my indie video. My biggest inspiration for my magazine was clash magazine.

The conventions of my music magazine where like clash magazines I had a big banner header with burst, in the colour red and blue which portrayed the link with my pop/indie genre. I also had a main image on the front which I feel I styled well and thought about a focus point in the image to draw the reader in which also was in colour scheme of my music magazine cherry red. I placed a gold chain with red love letters into the girl’s mouth and made her pose and this made a good image I also chose all the clothes which my model wore.

I used ‘da font’ to find the right font that I was looking for and then I manipulated in onto photo shop to burst out of the page which again linked in with my title ‘burst’ I could do this because I had now had quite a lot of practice using the software and it was beginning to become easier.


With my advanced portfolio music poster and digipak, I also looked at many other music posters and digipak on the market. These allowed me to view the conventions I needed to rein act to make mine effective, they also gave me ideas and inspiration. My poster and digipak are light grey with a burst of lots of colour squeezed into font which is plain and bold, I did this because I feel it fit my genre and that it would intrigue the audience to have a look and buy it. I think I used a few conventions from posters and digipak but I did not use a main image of the artist to attract people I, instead used my intriguing font with colour in it which I think worked really well also.

I was inspired by the quote ‘The making of the new and the rearranging of the old’ (Bentley 1997) as this is what I have done across all three projects talked about above.

1 comment:

  1. WWW good use of examples of what you did regarding your own texts

    EBI you outlined some SPECIFIC conventions of existing media texts e.g masthead, coverlines, mid shot of model
    You commented on new media technologies such as YouTube blogger twitter etc which helped you shape your new products.

    EAA 4
    Egs5
    Term 2

    11 /25 level 2 ( top )

    ReplyDelete